Senior Finance and Grants Manager
The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to over 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other reports and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe, and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
About the Senior Finance and Grants Manager position
We are recruiting a full-time position based remotely. The Senior Finance and Grants Manager will report to Aquaya’s Deputy Director of Finance. Aquaya was recently awarded a five-year cooperative agreement by USAID and serves as the prime awardee, leading a consortium of six partner organizations. This position will primarily work on this project as well as Aquaya’s other USAID-funded activities. The Senior Finance and Grants Manager will provide a crucial link between the technical and finance functions within the project to ensure that USAID, internal, and project policies are followed in all aspects of program implementation.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop internal control measures, conduct internal financial audits, and coordinate external financial audits.
- Develop the financial management capacity of all relevant staff and sub-awardees, providing training and policy guidance as needed.
- Lead and oversee USAID-funded grants and contracts administration, from calls for expressions of interest through to implementation.
- Prepare budgets for annual work plans and financial reports for USAID.
- With input from the Deputy Director of Finance, develop and implement a grant tracking system to ensure the timely and correct execution of all grant agreements.
- Monitor completion of grants milestones and report issues encountered to the Deputy Project Director.
- Resolve external issues/problems related to grants administration in a timely manner.
- Review and approve draft agreements in compliance with internal policies and procedures and USAID conditions.
- Ensure the accurate tracking and recording of project expenditures and financial reports.
- Guide and assist accountants and other program staff in preparing, revising, and monitoring budgets for ongoing activities.
- Manage the financial operations and financial reporting of projects, providing guidance and technical assistance to financial management personnel.
Criteria for the position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- Knowledge of US government policies, procedures, and reporting requirements for grants and contracts.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance or a related field in international business management, finance, accounting and/or auditing.
- An ACA/ACCA/CPA or other recognized professional accounting qualification.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, auditing, finance, or business management with a recognized organization, preferably for USAID.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage large budgets, and in-depth knowledge of accounting principles.
- Experience in managing grants for USAID-funded or other US government programs of a similar size.
- Fluency in English.
We are also looking for the following skills and attributes:
- Prior experience in a management role on a USAID-funded program highly desired
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with various stakeholders and grant awardees
- Interest in learning new accounting systems and technologies
- Previous work experience working with staff from other countries
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position, with an initial 3-month probationary period. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience.
To apply for the Senior Finance and Grants Manager
Please submit your resume via e-mail to email@example.com along with a thoughtful cover letter. The deadline for submissions is October 25, 2021. There will be an additional screening survey and activity once your resume is received. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Senior Finance and Grants Manager 2021”. No phone calls please.
(to begin no later than November 2021)