Sanitation Policies, Practices and Preferences in Nakuru, Kenya
- Nakuru County in Kenya is a leader in advancing sanitation and piloting sanitation improvement programs.
- The majority of low-income residents use unlined dry pit latrines but would prefer pour-flush toilets.
- Most low-income areas have loose soil, so pits are prone to collapsing.
- When pits are full, residents commonly dig new pits rather than empty existing ones.
- Nakuru town has several treatment options for sewage and fecal sludge.