Job Alert: Junior Data Editor – Nairobi, Kenya
The Aquaya Institute ( Aquaya ) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to nearly 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other reports and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
About the position
We are recruiting a Junior Data Editor for a full-time based in Nairobi. The Junior Data Editor will report to Aquaya’s Communications Associate but will work closely with staff across the organization. The basic function of the Junior Data Editor is to collect, organize, and analyze information about international water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) related data. This information will feed into Project W, a data hub and future home for comprehensive WASH analytics and sector knowledge. We are searching for an individual who is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, and is eager to learn new methods and technologies.
The Junior Data Editor will be responsible for the following key activities:
- Identify and describe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) data from international and domestic stakeholders.
- Support the establishment of methods for analytical enhancements to the information.
- Contribute ideas to the progression of the Project W data platform.
- Assist in the development of best practices and documentation for training.
Criteria for the position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- Bachelors degree – preference for studies in data science, computer science.
- Preferably familiarity with the water and sanitation sector, including international institutions and typical domestic entities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Motivated self-starter with a strong results orientation
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, unstructured environment.
- Excel and technology skills required.
- Commitment to living in Nairobi on a full-time basis.
- Fluency in English.
- Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position, with an initial 3-month probationary period as a contractor. Successful candidates will be offered full-time employment following the 3 months. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Candidates successful beyond the 3rd month will be eligible for benefits, including medical insurance and enrollment in a pension plan.
Please submit your resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a thoughtful cover letter. The deadline for submissions is Sep 1, 2021. There will be an additional screening survey and activity once your resume is received.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience. It should include your experience managing and describing data and experience in the development sector.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Junior Data Editor 2021”. No phone calls, please.